Saturday, September 1, 2007

Fruition

I've finally settled my teaching position business and now approach the departure date with trepidation. I sent a package of papers to my future employer in Daegu South Korea at quite a premium via FedEx and the next day sent my physical passport out to the Brazilian consulate to get a tourist visa. I fly out of Grand Rapids on September 30 to visit my friend Suzana in Sao Paulo Brazil, then return 3 weeks later on October 23 or so only to fly out on October 25th for Korea.
I'm hoping that any jet lag issues can be assuaged without destroying my health, but I have a feeling i'll end up catching a cold somewhere during transit. In any case, i'm quite excited about my first visit to Brazil. My passport will hopefully come back from the Brazilian consulate in time to send it back out to the Korean consulate and return with both visas in time to leave Sept 30. It's going to be extremely close, but it's out of my hands now. I can only sit back and trust the overwhelming efficiency of various national government agencies.
More importantly however, if I make it to Brazil I will be listening to the girl from Ipanema on my iPod while I walk down the beach in Ipanema. I can't help but break a smile just thinking about it! Assuming the timing works out and I don't lose all of my money, I will be in Brazil in a little less than a month! Finally, it's time for a living-spree.

1 comment:

Chris said...

James - I am Chris, The Stumbling engineer in Seoul. Listening to The Girl from Ipanema while walking down the beach in Ipanema - wow, I'm jealous. Enjoy your trip in Brazil, and drop me a note when you get to Korea. BTW, I'm surprised you were familiar with RPN, not many people are.

-Chris